Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Thingies!
I was packing up my office in March, because we were moving house, and I found this old drawing. I'd scanned it and sent it to 'Imagine FX' a while back, for an article on inspiration. I think the drawing dates from about 1982 when I was 11 years old. I've got a photo somewhere of me lying on a blanket on our back lawn drawing this.

The 'Thingies' were an alien race, and over the next few years, my Friend Daniel (who I generously made Vice President of the RSPCT) and I, created a whole universe for the Thingies to live in. I liked drawing the bad guys, called the Morons (a lot of thought went into the names!!), who had German infantry helmets and big tanks.

The funny thing about this, is that it's not so far removed from the work I do as a concept artist now. A rough-ish doodle, a few notes and a bit of silliness.

I'll try and scan some other stuff if I can find it.....

2 comments:

Angela Wyman said...

that is impressive! more drawings from when you were young, please! It makes total sense you have the career you do. Had you taken a class or dipped into Walter Foster's books as a tween?

jonny duddle said...

Thanks Ang... I'll try and find more old drawings and post them at some point. I didn't take any art classes until high school and didn't have any art books until I got to University. But I've always liked to shut myself away and do some doodling. Who's Walter Foster?