Saturday, February 19, 2011

Imagine FX no.067... Steampunk!

It's been a while since I did any work for Imagine FX, but editor Claire Howlett emailed me before Christmas asking if I fancied creating a workshop looking at Painter's brushes. I use Painter 11 for most of my work, coupled with Photoshop CS5, so with an open brief, how could I resist??

I did a painting based on one of my favourite Victorian photographs, Isambard Kingdom Brunel standing in front of the launching chains of the Great Eastern. I've been itching to use this photograph as the starting point for a steampunk painting, and this was my chance.

In my spare moments, I've been developing this character for a personal project and it was great to have an excuse to spend a bit of time on him. He's been the subject of various sketches and notes for the last few years, but a very busy schedule has held me back. With a bit of luck and some more time, he may yet see print in the not-so-distant future....

So if anyone's interested in Painter's brushes, my wafflings or just following the process on one of my digital paintings, go and get yourself a copy of the March 2011 issue of 'Imagine FX'!

4 comments:

Emerson Fialho said...

Espetacular! Sou fã do seu trabalho, parabéns!

Abração e sucesso, amigão!

Owen Williams said...

cool, I'll take a look, I've always thought about learning Painter so this might be a good time :)
Are you still at Aardman btw?

jonny duddle said...

Owen, I've pretty much finished at Aardman now. I did do some drawings today for a character they'd overlooked, but that's all I'm likely to do now. Bits and bobs, if they need a design, or something fixed. I'm hoping they'll think of me if a sequel crops up!

And thanks Emerson. I think. Erm...

Lol Prikol said...

Looking to satisfy your sweet tooth without the guilt? Welcome to order donuts online, where we're making healthy indulgence a reality with our low-calorie options! Bite into our delicious treats, thoughtfully crafted to deliver all the flavor without the added calories. And for those mindful of their intake, don't miss out on our signature Low-Cal Delight Donut! With its mouthwatering taste and waist-friendly profile, it's the perfect choice for guilt-free indulgence. Join us at Brandons Donuts and discover a world where you can enjoy the sweeter things in life without compromising your wellness goals. Because at Brandons Donuts, we believe everyone deserves a treat that's as good for you as it tastes!